National Science Foundation (NSF) - Division of Human Resource Development
11/26/19 5:00 PM Submitter's Local Time - For Targeted Infusion Projects, Broadening Participation Research Projects, Implementation Projects, and ACE Implementation Projects.
Grants to USA Historically Black Colleges and Universities to provide educational opportunities to undergraduate students for STEM education and research. An LOI must be submitted prior to applying. This program provides indirect funding for students at the undergraduate level or focuses on educational development for this group, such as curricula development, training or retention.
Grants during the upcoming fiscal year will be awarded in the following categories:
- HBCU Excellence in Research (EiR)
- Targeted Infusion Projects (TIP)
- Broadening Participation Research (BPR)
- Research Initiation Award (RIA)
- Implementation Projects (IMP). Within IMP, Achieving Competitive Excellence (ACE) Implementation Projects are intended for HBCUs with exemplary achievements and established institutionalized foundations from previous Implementation Project grants.
- Broadening Participation Research Centers (BPRC); and
- Other Funding Opportunities, including EArly-Concept Grants for Exploratory Research (EAGER), Rapid Response Research (RAPID), conference, and planning grants.
For information related to the funding tracks, see:
HBCU-UP is particularly interested in building knowledge in areas related to the following questions:
- What are the underlying issues affecting the participation and success of African American students in STEM undergraduate education?
- What replicable models of successful STEM programs at HBCUs can be developed, described, and adopted by other HBCUs and other institutions that serve underrepresented minority students?
- What are effective methods of increasing the capacity of HBCUs to produce more STEM graduates who are highly qualified for the STEM workforce or graduate school?
- What models of collaborations and partnerships have the greatest short- and long-term positive impact for the HBCU institution, faculty, and/or students?
GrantWatch ID#: 175415
- Excellence in Research Projects: Up to $1,000,000 for collaborative research projects and $500,000 for the individual investigator.
- Targeted Infusion Projects: Up to $400,000
- Broadening Participation Research Projects: Up to $350,000
- Research Initiation Awards: Up to $300,000
- Implementation Projects: Up to $1.25 million for 1st round Implementation Projects; up to $2.25 million for 2nd and 3rd round Implementation Projects.
- ACE Implementation Projects: Up to $3 million
- Broadening Participation Research Centers: Up to $9 million
- Excellence in Research Projects: Project length is up to three years
- Targeted Infusion Projects: Project length is from two to three years
- Broadening Participation Research Projects: Project length is up to three years
- Research Initiation Awards: Project length is up to three years
- Implementation Project Lengths: Up to 4 years for 1st round Implementation Project; up to five years for 2nd and 3rd round Implementation Projects
- ACE Implementation Projects: Project length up to five years
- Broadening Participation Research Centers: Project length up to five years
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Register with Grants.gov: https://www.grants.gov/custom/spoExit.jsp?p=/apply/register.faces
For Grants.gov user support, contact the Grants.gov Contact Center at 1-800-518-4726 or by email: email@example.com.
For FastLane user support, call the FastLane Help Desk at 1-800-673-6188 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Toni Edquist, Program Specialist
Earnestine Easter, Program Director
Claudia Rankins, Program Director
Clytrice L. Watson, Program Director
Randy Phelps, Staff Associate
2415 Eisenhower Avenue
Alexandria, VA 22314
Phone: (703) 292-5111
TDD: (703) 292-5090
47.041, 47.049, 47.050, 47.070, 47.074, 47.075, 47.076, 47.083
USA: Alabama; Arkansas; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maryland; Mississippi; Missouri; North Carolina; Ohio; Oklahoma; Pennsylvania; South Carolina; Tennessee; Texas; Virginia; Washington, DC; West Virginia
USA Territories: Virgin Islands (USA)