Foundation / Corporation
National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), Two-Year College English Association (TYCA) and Bedford/St. Martin’s
Awards of $500 to USA, territories, and Canada English teachers at two-year colleges to recognize outstanding programs to improve language learning for students of diverse backgrounds and interests. These awards recognize teachers who, along with community leaders, administrators, or colleagues in the English Department or other disciplines or programs, help students achieve their college, career, and personal goals.
Program Suggestions for 2020:
- Reaching Across Borders
- Composition Programs and Writing Studies
- Fostering Student Success
- Excellence in Teaching
The awards focus on programs—broad initiatives— rather than single classes or classroom strategies. Programs may be exclusive to the discipline of English or work in combination with other disciplines, college services, or community and workplace groups.
These awards will:
- Provide opportunities for professional enrichment by recognizing and publicizing exemplary programs
- Encourage collaborations that seek wider perspectives and a variety of points of view
- Stimulate colleges to invest in innovative programs that hold the promise of bringing meaningful education to all students
- Acknowledge the leadership of National TYCA and NCTE in promoting and recognizing excellence in the teaching of language and literature in the nation’s two-year colleges
The programs selected will reflect:
- Sensitivity to the educational, cultural, and ethnic needs of diverse students
- Innovative strategies for improving student learning that can be shared so that other teachers and colleges can benefit by adopting or adapting them
- Evidence of success in improving student learning
- Collaboration among those who participate in or are affected by the programs
- Pedagogy informed by sound theory and practices
GrantWatch ID#: 160628
Each year the Awards Committee will evaluate submissions and give as many as four awards. Honorable-mention awards may be given to other exceptional programs.
Winners will be granted a $500 travel stipend to attend the annual TYCA Breakfast at the CCCC Convention.
Names of the awards winners will be published in Teaching English in the Two-Year College (TETYC), regional TYCA newsletters and journals, and other appropriate NCTE publications. More detailed descriptions will be published in TETYC and on the TYCA/NCTE Web page.
Recipients of winning and honorable-mention programs may be invited to present their programs in TYCA-sponsored presentations at NCTE or CCCC conventions, at other related national conventions, and at the regional conferences where the winning colleges are located.
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
Canada: Alberta British Columbia Manitoba New Brunswick Newfoundland and Labrador Northwest Territories Nova Scotia Nunavut Ontario Prince Edward Island Quebec Saskatchewan Yukon