Foundation / Corporation
The Clubhouse Network (TCN) and Best Buy
08/30/19 5:00 PM PDT
Grants of up to $50,000 and in-kind services to California, Florida, Pennsylvania, New York, and Puerto Rico nonprofit organizations in eligible cities to establish technology centers and programs for teenagers. Funding is intended to support community-based organizations that have an existing after-school teen program and a commitment to serving youth in underserved communities.
Proposals will be accepted for the following locations:
- Hayward/Union City, CA
- Orlando, FL
- Philadelphia, PA
- Long Island, NY
- Puerto Rico (Bayamon, Carolina, Hato Rey/San Juan)
The mission is to provide a fun, interactive learning space where teens explore technology to discover new interests, collaborate with one another, and prepare for the future.
At the Centers, teens leverage technology to develop projects based on their own interests such as: creating art, producing music and animations; designing their own science simulations and mobile applications; writing and illustrating interactive poetry, stories and films; building kinetic sculptures and robotic constructions; and designing their own 3D worlds and games. In the process, youth become excited about learning and fluent with new technologies, developing skills and experiences to help them succeed in their careers, contribute to their communities, and lead outstanding lives.
To ensure maximum engagement, the Best Buy Teen Tech Centers are located in high teen traffic areas in safe locations within existing community sites of selected host organizations, such as libraries, schools, museums, or community centers. Best Buy Teen Tech Centers have a consistent look and feel that are fun, safe and inviting (including teen‐centric furniture and an innovative space design) and aim to be inclusive for teens. Local Best Buy employees will also participate in the program as volunteers, providing ongoing guidance and conducting workshops.
GrantWatch ID#: 181619
Best Buy will bring technology centers to several new locations in 2019.
Best Buy will provide a combination of cash and in‐kind support for the first year, which will comprise:
- A technology grant to be used to acquire the hardware, software, and necessary accessories for the center to be fully operational including high‐quality, professional software tools for creating graphics, 3D animation, images, video, and music
- A furniture grant to be used to acquire furnishings that reflect the “look and feel” of a teen‐centric space and Best Buy Teen Tech Center design guidelines
-Support from Best Buy and The Clubhouse Network staff for facility design and layout, equipment set‐up, software installation, and technical assistance
- A $50,000 grant to be used for staffing, staff development, and travel for required training‐related purposes through TCN. Program funding cannot be used for general overhead expenditures
- Cutting‐edge curriculum and programs developed by the Best Buy Foundation grant partners
- Ongoing support from The Clubhouse Network staff to conduct program evaluation, site visits, programmatic guidance, technology support, and general assistance
- Access to The Clubhouse Village, a social network that enables staff and youth everywhere to meet, interact online, collaborate on design activities, and share projects
- Participation in one week of orientation and professional development for new Teen Tech Center staff at “Flagship” Clubhouse in Boston, as well as written training materials and online documentation to assist in start‐up and ongoing operations
- Best Buy and Geek Squad employee volunteers for community activities, technology assistance, and educational workshops.
The initial grant will be to support the operation of the program for one year from date of implementation. Successful grant recipients will be eligible for additional years of partial funding based on demonstrated success.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online submittal form: https://theclubhousenetwork.org/bestbuy/bestbuyrfp/
Please direct any questions to BestBuyProposal@theclubhousenetwork.org.
USA: California: Hayward/Union City; Florida: Orlando; New York: Long Island; Pennsylvania: Philadelphia
USA Territories: Puerto Rico (USA)