Foundation / Corporation
Alberta Ecotrust Foundation
Grants of up to $30,000 to Alberta nonprofit organizations and First Nations for projects to address the Province’s most critical environmental issues. Applicants are asked to contact staff to discuss projects prior to submitting an application. All proposals must address at least one of the Foundation's environmental priority areas. These include water, land use, and climate change.
1) Water – Protection and conservation of water and/or the maintenance of water quality
2) Land Use – Protection or enhancement of ecological function of native and developed landscapes, including biodiversity, wildlife habitat and land use management.
3) Climate Change – Protection of the atmosphere, greenhouse gas and emissions reductions, and energy conservation
Major Grants: This program is designed to support more comprehensive projects that have the potential to result in substantial environmental benefit. The application process is more comprehensive and will be undertaken in two parts.
Projects Eligible for Funding:
The following criteria must be met to be eligible for funding:
- Project must take place in Alberta
- Address one or more of the environmental priorities
Grant funds can be used for any costs deemed reasonable and directly related to the project. This includes:
- Contractor wages
- Travel and accommodations
- Existing programs that address the three environmental priorities
- Website development
- Supplies and materials
- Portion of rent, telephone, etc.
- Project-specific training
Alberta Ecotrust will assess all grant proposals for impact based on the following criteria:
- Project activities: Activities are clearly outlined, target audiences identified, and measureable outcomes defined
- Evaluation strategy and success indicators: Success can be measured over time, metrics and indicators are appropriate, and applicant demonstrates capacity to utilize evaluative data
- Project results: Long-term goals and the path to achieve them is clearly articulated, along with the anticipated change
GrantWatch ID#: 181457
Maximum grant is $30,000.
- The project end date is a maximum of 12 months after the start date.
- Project start dates are often 2 months after the application deadline (i.e June 15 or December 15). Costs incurred before your project start date are not eligible for funding.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Application Portal: https://www.grantrequest.com/SID_1452?SA=AM
Feel free to contact the grant staff if you have further questions:
1-800-465-2147 (outside of Calgary)
Projects Map: https://albertaecotrust.com/project-map/