Toronto Arts Council (TAC)
08/01/19 11:59 PM
Grants of up to $15,000 to Toronto, Ontario nonprofit organizations and artist collectives for limited-time or one-time theater projects. First-time applicants must contact the funding source before applying. Funding can be used for the production, creation, dissemination, or presentation of theater work or any other activities that contribute to the development of theater in Toronto. The Theatre Program is strongly committed to the development and performance of works by Canadian artists
Applicants may apply in one of five categories:
- Full Production: supports rehearsal, production and presentation of a fully developed work.
- Production in a Festival: supports the rehearsal, production and presentation of a work in a curated festival. Confirmation of festival participation is required.
- Festival: Supports an event that presents theater groups and artists.
- Workshop: Supports the development of new work and can include some form of limited presentation.
- Special Initiatives: Supports projects that develop and advance the practice of theater in Toronto, and/or contribute to an understanding and appreciation of theater. Projects can include professional development opportunities that benefit the theater community, conferences, etc.
Projects involving Deaf artists and artists with disabilities may apply for an additional TAC grant by completing the Accessibility Expenses section of the application and including the requisite information in their budget. A TAC Accessibility grant will provide up to a maximum of $5,000 towards accessibility costs for artists incurred during the project. Accessibility costs include but are not limited to: ASL interpretation, audio description, closed captioning, communications assistants, and attendant care.
Funding through this program contributes to the direct costs associated with a theater project, including artistic fees, production and technical costs, marketing and publicity costs, administrative costs, etc.
- The artistic merit of the proposed project and the strength of the applicant’s artistic goals and objectives;
- The contribution of the project to the development of theater in Toronto;
- The contribution of the proposed project to the development of the applicant organization/collective and/or the artists involved;
- The public impact of the project, including the quality and effectiveness of the applicant’s outreach, marketing and/or audience development strategies;
- The financial viability of the proposed project and the ability of the applicant to carry it out, this includes consideration of unrestricted and internally restricted reserves (if applicable).
GrantWatch ID#: 178330
- Full Production: up to $15,000
- Production in a festival: up to $5,000
- Festival: up to $15,000
- Workshop: up to $10,000
- Special Initiatives: contact Theatre Officer to discuss the budget
- TAC Accessibility grant: up to $5,000
Project applications submitted to the February deadline must be for projects commencing after June 1.
Project applications submitted to the August deadline must be for projects commencing after November 1.
Projects must be completed within two years of the date of the awardees's grant notification.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Online application portal: http://tac.smartsimple.ca/
Leah-Simone Bowen, Theatre Officer
Phone: 416 392 6800 x220
26 Grand Trunk Crescent, Suite 200
Toronto, Ontario M5J 3A9