Toronto Arts Council (TAC)
08/01/19 11:59 PM
Grants of up to $15,000 to Toronto, Ontario professional dance artists and nonprofit dance organizations and collectives for dance projects and other activities that promote professional dance in Toronto. First-time applicants and those unsure of eligibility should contact the program officer prior to applying. Funding is intended for the creation, production, and presentation of dance works and to promote professional dance within the City. The program recognizes a diversity of dance practices.
Applicants may apply in one of four categories:
1. Creation: This category supports choreographic creation, including research and development, and commissions. Some form of presentation (e.g., in-studio, with invited peers or public) must be included as part of the process. If you create your work in stages, you may apply for funding for different stages of creation, but note that you can only receive one grant in a calendar year from this program. Eligible expenses include:
- Fees paid to choreographers, dancers, and creative resources such as a musical composer, outside eye, mentor, elder, dramaturge, etc.
- Studio costs and production elements that are essential to the choreography.
2. Production and Presentation: This category supports the rehearsal, production and presentation of live dance. Eligible expenses include artistic, production and administrative fees and costs, including rehearsal, venue, publicity, marketing and outreach.
3. Dance Series and Festivals: This category supports dance series and festivals that present Toronto choreographers, dance artists and dance companies. Eligible expenses include artists’ engagement fees, production and administrative fees and costs, including publicity, marketing and outreach.
4. Dance Field Development: This category supports projects that develop and advance the practice of professional dance in Toronto. Projects can include: short-term dance technique or choreographic workshops, laboratories, etc., and events designed to further develop or expand a specific dance technique, practice, or movement style. Development projects must benefit a group of dance professionals; individual professional development projects are not eligible. Individuals are not eligible applicants in this category; the applicant must be an organization or collective. Eligible expenses include artistic, production and administrative fees and costs, including venue, publicity, marketing and outreach.
Projects involving Deaf artists and artists with disabilities may apply for an additional TAC grant by completing the Accessibility Expenses section of the application and including the requisite information in their budget. A TAC Accessibility grant will provide up to a maximum of $5,000 towards accessibility costs for artists incurred during the project. Accessibility costs include but are not limited to: ASL interpretation, audio description, closed captioning, communications assistants, and attendant care.
GrantWatch ID#: 172512
- Creation: Up to $8,000
- Production/Presentation: Up to $15,000
- Dance Series and Festivals: Up to $10,000
- Dance Field Development: Up to $8,000
A TAC Accessibility grant will provide up to a maximum of $5,000 toward accessibility costs for artists incurred during the project.
Applications submitted to the February deadline should be for projects taking place after June 1; applications submitted to the August deadline should be for projects taking place after November 1. Projects must be completed within two years of the date of your grant notification letter.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.